How do I prepare for a Filler?
Juvederm Pre and Post Care – After determining you’re a good candidate for treatment, a complete facial examination to determine which areas of your face may benefit from a Filler.
What should I tell my doctor before doing a filler?
At the time of consult, the medical professionals and your Aesthetic provider will do a patient medical history and review – medications you take, allergies, skin type, and medical conditions including
- Plans to have surgery or had surgery on your face
- Any other change in the way your face regularly looks
- Bleeding problems
- We recommend injecting at least 5 days before any major event as bruising can occur.
What to Expect During Treatment?
Juvederm Pre and Post Care and what to expect during your treatment are important, especially to our new patients. So, here’s our general setup and protocol guidelines similar to all filler products:
- You’ll be seated upright in a comfortable exam chair.
- Before any filler product is administered, makeup and dirt will be removed, usually with an alcohol pad.
- You may wish to use topical anesthetic cream to lessen the discomfort associated with an injection.
- Injections take just minutes. Total treatment takes 30 minutes for 1st Vial, 20 for a 2nd.
- While the injections may hurt, many patients find them tolerable with just a topical anesthetic or an ice cube placed on the sight just prior to the procedure.
Our Doctors record this information in your medical chart. When you return for a touch-up, the doctor can better judge how long the material lasted and can make an informed decision as to whether more filler is needed to maximize the correction. Many doctors request that you return to the office in two to three weeks after a treatment, whether or not a touch-up is required, in order to document the success of the procedure.
Once This Cosmetic Treatment is Complete
How does the skin appear after Fillers?
There is no downtime after a filler treatment; patients are able to return to their normal activities right away. Although there is some discomfort associated with injections, most commonly reported side effect has been that the skin has redness, swelling, pain/tenderness, firmness, mildly swollen with lumps or bumps (mostly where the result we want) and bruising at the injection site. These effects typically resolve within a few hours or at most, a day or two.
Are there any limitations after treatment?
It’s necessary to follow some precautions for a couple of weeks after treatment, such as exposure to extreme temperatures, hot or cold.
You should avoid the following for at least 24 hours after treatment:
- Strenuous exercise
- Consumption of alcoholic beverages
- Extended exposure to sun or heat
Exposure to any of the above may cause temporary redness, swelling, and/or itching at the injection sites. It is very unusual for general complications to occur after cosmetic filler injection, but if you feel abnormal and think you are developing a reaction, notify your doctor promptly. If there is swelling, you may need to place an ice pack over the swollen area. Be sure to report any redness and/or visible swelling that lasts for more than a few days or any other symptoms that cause you concern to your healthcare professional and/or contact Allergan Product Support at 1-877-345-5372.
1. Do not massage or manipulate the treated area for 6 hours – so that the Filler will remain in the desired location and will not migrate or become infected.
a. Avoid touching as HANDS & MOUTH MAY HAVE EXPOSURE TO THE MOST GERMS.
2. You can bathe and shower normally and apply makeup after 4-6 hours.
3. You can drive immediately, but if you experience lightheadedness or any other unusual symptoms, you should immediately stop driving.
We are dedicated to giving our patients the attention they deserve during their period of recovery. Our injectable or laser treatment patients will have complimentary ice packs, toiletries and access to our fully stocked skincare touch-up bar to restore their skin with lotions & potions prior to returning to work. It is important that we make your recovery time as convenient as possible. Although it’s rare if there is any slight bruising, we offer free IPL treatment touch up to speed recovery along (if deemed safe).
Tips for a Recovering Patient
1. Juvederm Pre and Post Care – Follow Directives
After any procedure, you will receive post-operative directions from your provider to take care of yourself in order to remain safe and comfortable. These suggestions will also help you obtain or maintain optimal results. Be sure to follow all directions closely.
2. Communicate with your provider
Fill out the paperwork COMPLETELY. Consent forms are reviewed by the patient and signed-off. Post care after a Filler Treatment is reviewed. If for ANY REASON you have a question about your service – please call us to make sure everything is always the best it can be.
3. Enjoy any time off
Plan to have things around your space that make you comfortable. Sometimes patients are most nervous about the time associated with recovery. Use any downtime as a time for self-pampering, quiet reflection but above all – do not rush recovery.
Fillers treat wrinkles, lines and depressions very well but we may suggest a chemical peel, microdermabrasion, Botox or laser resurfacing.