How do I prepare for this procedure?
Your physician will take a complete medical history to determine if you are a good candidate for treatment. Then, a complete facial examination to determine which areas of your face may benefit from Botox. Because Botox® can only treat wrinkles caused by muscle contractions, some facial lines and wrinkles can only be eliminated but rather may suggest a chemical peel, microdermabrasion or laser resurfacing.
What should I tell my doctor before taking BOTOX Cosmetic?
At the time of consult, the medical professionals and your Aesthetic provider will do a patient medical history and review – medications you take, allergies, skin type and medical conditions including:
- Side effect from any botulinum toxin or similar products in the past such as Myobloc®, Dysport®, or Xeomin®
- Swallowing or Breathing problem, such as asthma or emphysema
- Bleeding problems
- Plans to have surgery or had surgery on your face
- Weakness of your forehead muscles, such as trouble raising your eyebrows or have drooping eyelids
- Any other change in the way your face normally looks
Once Botox® Cosmetic Treatment is Complete
What can I expect following the treatment?
Although there is some discomfort associated with injections, the feeling is much like any other injection, there is usually no pain afterward. Approximately 10 days after treatment, only the injected facial muscles become more relaxed and wrinkles begin to melt away.
Are there any limitations after treatment?
You can resume most normal activities right after treatment but strenuous exercise and activity should be avoided for one to two days. In addition, your practitioner may recommend that you perform facial exercises with the remaining muscle by frowning or smiling frequently for the first 1 hour after treatment.
Post Care Review:
- Avoid lying down and keep head upright for 4-6 hours. Do not stoop over or strain. Do not take naps or sleep in a reclining position (head down) until 8 hours after your treatment.
- Exercise and strenuous activity should wait 2 days after injection.
- Do not massage or manipulate the treated area for 6 hours – so that the Botox will remain in the desired location and will not migrate to nearby facial muscles.
- You can bathe and shower normally and apply makeup after 4-6 hours.
- No tight hats or headbands
- If you have any difficulty with your vision or the eyelid becomes droopy, let us know so we can give you additional instructions.
- Do not take any aminoglycoside antibiotics (e.g. gentamicin, tobramycin, netilmicin, amikacin).
- You can drive immediately, but if you experience light-headedness or any other unusual symptoms, you should immediately stop driving.
It is very unusual for general complications to occur after Botox injections, but if you feel abnormal and think you are developing a reaction, notify your doctor promptly. Please note: if you experience difficulty with breathing, swallowing, talking… get to the nearest emergency room.
Botox Recovery Care
We are continuously dedicated to giving our patients the attention they deserve during their period of recovery. Our Botox or laser treatment patients will have complimentary ice packs, toiletries and access to our fully stocked skincare touch-up bar to restore their skin with lotions & potions prior to returning to work. It is important that we make your Botox recovery time as convenient as possible. Out-of-town patients can take advantage of reduced rates at our partnership hotels only blocks away from our practice. If you decide to take advantage of all Pittsburgh has to offer, please ask about the finest shopping and cuisine in the country.
Tips for a Recovering Patient
1. Follow Directives
After any procedure, you will receive post-operative directions from your provider to take care of yourself in order to remain safe and comfortable. These suggestions will also help you obtain or maintain optimal results. Be sure to follow all directions closely.
2. Communicate with your provider
Fill out the paperwork COMPLETELY. Consent forms are reviewed by the patient and signed-off. Post care after Botox Cosmetic Treatment are reviewed. If for ANY REASON you have a question about your service – please call us to make sure everything is always the best it can be.
3. Enjoy your time off
Plan to have things around your space that make you comfortable. Sometimes patients are most nervous about the time associated with recovery. Use any downtime as time for quiet reflection, self-pampering but above all – do not rush recovery.
For more information about Botox, Dysport or Xeomin treatment, recovery or scheduling – please call us at 724 987 3221