Botox Treatment Preparation | How best to prepare for the Botox procedure?
Your physician will take a complete medical history to determine the Botox treatment preparation and if you are a good candidate for the Botox treatments. Then, a facial examination will determine what areas may benefit from Botox. Botox can only treat wrinkles caused by muscle contractions, some facial lines and wrinkles can only be eliminated but rather may suggest a chemical peel, microdermabrasion or laser resurfacing.
What should I tell my doctor before taking Botox Cosmetic?
At the time of consult, your Aesthetic provider and the medical professionals will do a patient review and medical history – allergies, medications you take, skin type and medical conditions including:
- Side effect from any botulinum toxin or similar products in the past such as Myobloc, Dysport, or Xeomin
- Swallowing or breathing problem, such as asthma or emphysema
- Bleeding problems
- Previous or future plans to have surgery on your face
- The weakness of your forehead muscles, such as trouble raising your eyebrows or have drooping eyelids
- Any other changes in the way your face normally looks
Once Botox Cosmetic Treatment is Complete
What can I expect following the treatment?
Although there is some discomfort associated with injections, the feeling is much like any other injection, there is usually no pain afterward. Approximately 10 days after treatment, only the injected facial muscles become more relaxed and wrinkles begin to fade away.
Botox Treatment Preparation Question
Are there any limitations after treatment?
You can resume most normal activities right after treatment but strenuous exercise and activity should be avoided for one to two days. In addition, your practitioner may recommend that you perform facial exercises with the remaining muscle by frowning or smiling frequently for the first 1 hour after treatment.
Post Botox Care Review:
- Avoid lying down and keep head upright for 4-6 hours. Do not stoop over or strain. Do not take naps or sleep in a reclining position (head down) until 8 hours after your treatment.
- Exercise and strenuous activity should wait 2 days after injection.
- Do not massage or manipulate the treated area for 6 hours – so that the Botox will remain in the desired location and will not migrate to nearby facial muscles.
- You can bathe and shower normally and apply makeup after 4-6 hours.
- No tight hats or headbands
- If you have any difficulty with your vision or the eyelid becomes droopy, let us know so we can give you additional instructions.
- Do not take any aminoglycoside antibiotics (e.g. gentamicin, tobramycin, netilmicin, amikacin).
- You can drive immediately, but if you experience light-headedness or any other unusual symptoms, you should immediately stop driving.
It is rather unusual for general complications to happen after Botox injections, but if you think you are developing a reaction, notify your doctor promptly. Please note: if you experience difficulty with breathing, swallowing, talking… acquire help to get to the nearest emergency room.
Botox Treatment Preparation Recovery Care
We are continuously dedicated to our patients, giving the attention they deserve during their period of recovery. Our laser treatment or Botox patients will have complimentary ice packs, cleanser, toiletries and access to our fully stocked skincare touch-up bar to restore their skin with potions and lotions prior to returning to work. It is important that we make your Botox recovery time as convenient as possible. Patients can take advantage of lessened rates when visiting from out-of-town at our partnership hotels only blocks away from our practice. If you decide to take advantage of all Pittsburgh has to offer, please ask about the finest shopping and cuisine in the country.
Tips for a Recovering Patient
1. Follow all directives
After any procedure, you will receive post-operative directions from your cosmetic provider to take care of yourself in order to remain comfortable and safe. These suggested tips will also help you sustain or achieve optimal outcomes. Be sure to follow directions closely.
2. Communicate with your provider
COMPLETELY fill out the paperwork. Consent forms are reviewed by the patient and signed or initialed. Review all Post care Botox Cosmetic Treatment information. If for ANY REASON you have a question about this service – please call us to make sure everything is always the best it can be.
3. Enjoy your time off
Plan ahead to have things throughout your space that make you satisfactory. Sometimes patients are most nervous about recovery time. Use any downtime as a time for quiet reflection, self-pampering but above all – do not rush recovery.